Ecotourism: Conversation with Hector Ceballos-Lascurain

Current conversations
planeta
Site Admin

Service question

Post by planeta »

What are the current challenges of ecotourism operations and what are your recommendations for those offering ecotourism services?

hector ceballos-lascurain
Traveler

Reply to Antonis B. Petropoulos

Post by hector ceballos-lascurain »

"A: Hi, Antonis. Thanks for participating in our forum and thank you for your very kind comments. I believe ecotourism has already attained or is attaining a political dimension in many countries. A number of governments (especially in developing countries) are recognizing its usefulness for improving the livelihood of poor rural communities and also for helping conserve nature, so it is definitely seen as an important political instrument. This political profile is also starting to attain multi-national status. Just a few minutes ago, I have received the following news from the NAFTA CEC (Commission for Environmental Cooperation): "The Joint Public Advisory Committee (JPAC) of the CEC in late December made recommendations to the CEC Council

Gerhard
Traveler

celestun question

Post by Gerhard »

I feel very privileged to address Hector directly, if you would allow me a few comments and two questions:

1. Since my arrival several years ago to Mexico I have been very aware of your excellent ecotourism work. My first year in Mexico I lived in Celestun, Yucatan as English teacher and nature guide trainer and was very interested to hear at the time that this village played a role in your creating the term and definition of ecotourism as mentioned in the link:
http://www.planeta.com/ecotravel/weavin ... allos.html
My first question is - if you still had contact with Celestun in recent years - what is your opinion on the state of ecotourism in Celestun?

2. I think we agree that ecotourism without

planeta
Site Admin

House

Post by planeta »

Let me get the word out to some friends and colleagues about the house. I wish I knew a reputable eco real estate website!

Traveler

Selling my ecological house

Thank you, Ron.

planeta
Site Admin

new video

Post by planeta »

FYI - New video

Conversation with Hector Ceballos-Lascurain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOwV4LD_Amc

planeta
Site Admin

Birdwatching and YouTube

Post by planeta »

As an avid birdwatcher, Hector, you have seen more than a few interesting species. When we met earlier this year you mentioned some YouTube videos showing some amazing bird behavior. What were those birds?

Traveler

Birdwatching and YouTube

Yes, Ron, the birds with unbelievable display which I told you about are the birds of paradise, whcih I had the enormous fortune of watching in true life in my trip to New Guinea last year. You and other forum participants are invited to watch several fabulous videos, including: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P85LoHftEKs

ecoturismolatino
Traveler

Ecotourism in Protected Areas

Post by ecoturismolatino »

Hello Hector:

First, I would like to thank Ron for fostering interesting conversations on this Forum.

Second, wanted to ask Hector what is his opinion on ecoturismo in protected areas in general and in Mexico specifically?

Also, what recommendations you can give me to consider in the work we are doing in the National Commission of Protected Natural Areas (Comisi

balamku
Traveler

please visit balamku and costa maya

Post by balamku »

Thank you Hector for your reply and of course, interest in our area, Costa Maya. When the cruise ships return, we may have more high impact activities to address. Hopefully, the authorities will recognize the unique opportunity to be a low impact port.
We look foward to meeting you when you are in the area
May we use your comments if needed with the Tourism Office of QR?
regards
carol

ecoturismolatino
Traveler

Ecolodges in PAs

Post by ecoturismolatino »

Hector:

CONANP is promoting ecotourism projects developed and operated by communities, some of them provide lodging facilities.

How can we work on developing world-class ecolodges, but that benefit directly to local employment, economy and empowerment?

Allan

planeta
Site Admin

Lifetime Achievement Award

Post by planeta »

Hello, Hector

How was the ceremony for the International Restaurant and Hotel Award for Lifetime Achievement?

planeta
Site Admin

Post by planeta »

Greetings, Hector

Just to bring us up to speed ... do you have any new publications or speaking engagements in 2009?