To what degree does tourism development displace locals?

Global dialogue (2007)

Moderators: gregoryhubbs, Mary Finn, Amy Krause, Marianne Heredge, Gerhard, Marcus Bauer, Trip, ECOT_Julia, jugonzal

planeta
Site Admin

To what degree does tourism development displace locals?

Post by planeta »

TOPIC: To what degree does tourism development displace local people?

Request - Please keep your posts brief (recommended: 250 words or less) and focused on this question.

REFERENCES

Tourism and Migration Conference
http://www.planeta.com/ecotravel/tour/migration.html

Forum Guidelines
http://www.planeta.com/worldforum.html
Last edited by planeta on Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

planeta
Site Admin

Any other comments?

Post by planeta »

Any other comments about tourism development displacing locals?

Mary Finn
Traveler

Tourism causing locals to displace themselves?

Post by Mary Finn »

To second the comments on the cost of land increasing with tourism development - a recent article in Ecuador

planeta
Site Admin

Any other comments?

Post by planeta »

Any other comments on the degree that tourism development displaces locals?

Gerhard
Traveler

Push and pull factors

Post by Gerhard »

As final post of my participation in this discussion: I want to thank all of you who shared interesting thoughts and examples from different parts of the world and I wanted to add a final example of displacement by tourism. There is a clear division of reasons for migration into two factors: push ands pull. Displacement is often seen mostly from the former perspective (push factors): rising land prices, forced removals, constraints or rules / prohibition on traditional land use etc. (several mentioned above), yet the pull factor to search a better life (following examples of tourists) is an interesting one mentioned in this discussion.

I wish to add one more pull factor example that causes displacement not FROM a present tourist region but TO a major tourism region. In Chiapas and Yucatan many campesinos ("peasants") migrate to try and find (low-end) tourism jobs in Cancun and the adjacent "Riviera Maya". These workers often have no job security, low pay and at times little pride or even interest in their job.

The irony is that some villages actually have a tourism potential and the possibility of forming their own village tourism projects where they take part in the decisions rather than being at the bottom rung of the tourism industry ladder. I have visited villages in Chiapas with real attractions yet lack of organizational and marketing skills in spite of existing "ecotourism" projects that are just not taking off, that are losing their youth to the badly-paid Cancun jobs. More focus on the capacity building and long term aspects of community tourism growth is probably at least part of the answer.