Chatter and general introductions

Member dialogue
planeta
Site Admin

Chatter and general introductions

Post by planeta »

Chatter and general introductions for the Ecotourism Emerging Industry Forum (November 1 - 18, 2005)
http://forum.planeta.com/viewforum.php?f=52
http://www.planeta.com/ecotravel/tour/emerging.html

Active participants may post messages as a reply to this topic.

TIP -- Be sure to update your forum profile with interests and the URL of your website
http://forum.planeta.com/profile.php?mode=editprofile

FAQ -- More answers to frequently asked questions online
http://www.planeta.com/planeta/05/0511forumfaq.html
Last edited by planeta on Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

planeta
Site Admin

Topics

Post by planeta »

FYI -- The individual topics have been created within this branch of the forum. Those topics open when our dialogue begins on November 1st.
Last edited by planeta on Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

planeta
Site Admin

Forum FAQ

Post by planeta »

Do you have questions about the forum? Active participants can post questions as a reply to this topic.

TIP -- Check out the frequently asked questions (FAQ) for the Ecotourism Emerging Industry Forum
>> http://www.planeta.com/planeta/05/0511forumfaq.html

Meganew
Traveler

Post by Meganew »

Hello everyone,

I have released a new EplerWood Report that I think is relevant to our discussions. I invite you to have a look.

It is titled, Stepping Up, Creating a Sustainable Tourism Enterprise Strategy that can Deliver in the Developing World.

Please consider reading this before or during the forum. It discusses how small and medium business enterprise development in sustainable tourism is an important approach to delivering on efforts to create large scale solutions to poverty reduction and conservation of landscapes.

It can be found at www.eplerwood.com/reports.php

Megan

Meganew
Traveler

Post by Meganew »

Hello fellow Emerging Industry Participants,

I look forward to our first day tomorrow. I have compiled some statistics I hope you will all see. I have them in charts ready to post - will work with Ron on this. Here is a taste.

Of the 176 registered as of this evening, 7% are journalists, 40% are Active, and 53% are passive participants.

63% have never participated in an on-line conference before.

Markets and Market Development received the highest importance rating from the group in the Topic ratings (4.1 out of 5).

In the Sub-topic ratings, Development with Communities received the highest rating (4.3 out of 5), Crosscultural Interactions was second (4.2), and Destination Marketing was third (4.1).

Will provide the full graphs as soon as possible!

Megan Epler Wood

Meganew
Traveler

Post by Meganew »

Hello,

I have one more post this evening. I would like to draw your attention to the publication, Ecolodges; Exploring Opportunities for Sustainable Business. and the other background research that was performed for this study. This is very good information to use for our dialogue. Ron has linked this publication to the reference area of our conference page.

It can be found directly at http://ifcln1.ifc.org/ifcext/enviro.nsf ... P_Ecolodge

Best,
Megan Epler Wood

Aivar_Ruukel
Traveler

Introduction

Post by Aivar_Ruukel »

Hello everybody,
I will also take opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Aivar Ruukel , I live and work in Soomaa National Park , Estonia.
My company SOOMAA.COM organizes tours and provides travel services inside and nearby National Park. The backbone of our activities is a network of farms along the rivers and people living there. We do co-operate with many other local farms, accommodations, guides and service providers.

The philosophy of SOOMAA.COM is ecotourism, which means to us promoting local economic development, supporting preservation of cultural and natural heritage and educating travelers and public.

Beside business I am chairman of Estonian Ecotourism Associacion. I am looking forward for interesting dicussions.

Tropic
Traveler

Greetings from Ecuador

Post by Tropic »

Hello,

My name is Jascivan Carvalho and I represent an ecotourism operator here in Ecuador called Tropic Ecological Adventures.

TROPIC is an award

jsweeting
Traveler

Greetings from sunny Washington DC

Post by jsweeting »

Helo everyone,

My name is Jamie Sweeting. I work for Conservation International, where I am challenged daily to see how we can make tourism a vehicle for improved human welfare and conservation. We work at all levels of the tourism supply chain and with a whole variety of different stakeholders. Essentially I am here to participate in the dialogue and learn from the experiences and knowledge of others how I (and CI more generally) might be able to get better at what it is we try to do...

With thanks in advance

Best wishes, Jamie

George Duffy
Traveler

Background

Post by George Duffy »

I co-own an outbound tour wholesale company in Canada with Alanna Dean (P.Eng) called Worldwide Ecolodges. We provide a link between international operators and lodges and the Canadian market by promoting tours and packages through travel agencies here in Canada. We publish an annual tour catalogue which shows a selection of product and prices to travel agents and their clients in a pleasing and hopefully persuasive format.

Without providing an exhuastive resume, both of us have been also been involved for many years in green building and infrastructure technology, ecological living concepts, public and private sector policy making in tourism entrepreneurship.

I hope that we can share some insights from our experiences and learn a lot from the combined wisdom of so many pariticpants.

mcolby
Traveler

Test

Post by mcolby »

Test reply

Mary Finn
Traveler

Introductions

Post by Mary Finn »

Good morning, all, and many thanks to Ron, Megan and the others who helped bring together another intriguing online ecotourism conference.

My name is Mary Finn, and I have had the pleasure of participating in many of Ron

febo
Traveler

About Balam

Post by febo »

My name is Antonio Suarez from Balam a consultancy group based at Mexico with 13 years of experience developing nature tourism projects mostly around cities three are the areas we mostly work on:

1. Infrastructure development and building, our main two products are the

Meganew
Traveler

Post by Meganew »

HI everyone,

Ron asked that we as organizers introduce ourselves. Better late than never?

I have been involved with ecotourism since 1989, when I produced a documentary for Turner Broadcasting and PBS in the U.S. as part of the World of Audubon series on ecotourism that looked at its development in Kenya, Belize and Montana. As a result of this documentary The International Ecotourism Society was born. I was its founder with a wonderful board of directors from around the world. We had our first board meeting in 1991 in which we coined the most often used definition of ecotourism - responsible travel to natural areas that conserves the environment and sustains the well being of local people. I was its executive director and then president until 2002. In that time period we addressed questions of international ecotourism standards, community based ecotourism, protected area fees for conservation and private sector contribution to conservation, and donor policies among many issues.

I began a consulting business in 2003. My firm specializes in designing projects with development agency support that are market-based and stress the use of private sector business principles, while stressing analysis of environmental and social impacts and community needs at every phase of development. I have worked with consultants in many countries on a team basis and have seen some exciting results thanks to very synergistic team work. We have worked for USAID, the World Bank/IFC, some private sector clients, and most recently Harvard University.

I am always researching and learning and have been publishing alot lately. You can see my reports at www.eplerwood.com.

Megan

Paul Radchenko
Traveler

Post by Paul Radchenko »

Hello to all Participants and Moderators,

My apologies also for such a late start. First of all I would like to thank Ron and Megan for organizing this conference and their continued passion for ecotourism.

My name is Paul Radchenko and I am the Coordinator of the Ecotourism and Outdoor Leadership - Bachelor of Applied Science - Degree Program at Medicine Hat College. We are located in sunny SE Alberta, Canada.

I think this is a great opportunity for our future industry leaders to get a number of perspectives on the application of the ecotourism industry in all its diversity.

This is the second time we have been able to participate in such dialogue as last year our students (now alumni) were able to get a sense of what Urban Ecotourism is how it has evolved throughout the world.

Our current 4th year students are viewing the conference pages as part of their Directed Studies course. Some of the topics up for discussion form the basis of their course Project and your discussion and expertise will no doubt help them understand the industry better.

Many of them have expressed interest in becoming entrepreneurs in the industry and this conference will give them an assessment of where ecotourism stands today and how they might be involved in the future.

I look forward to the continued discussion.

Thanks,
Paul