1. Policy development for protected areas
2. Regional planning
3. Market research and development

MODERATOR: Steve Noakes

SETTINGS: Active participants can reply to this topic

PARTICIPANTS:
http://www.planeta.com/ecotravel/tour/e ... .html#part

REFERENCE

Ecotourism Emerging Industry Forum (Nov 1-18, 2005)
http://www.planeta.com/ecotravel/tour/emerging.html

planeta
Site Admin

Seeking Examples

Post by planeta »

Discussion is invited in this topic. We are are seeking specific examples of private sector/public sector collaboration, including policy development for protected areas, regional planning and market research and development

Steve Noakes
Traveler

First week summary

Post by Steve Noakes »

The Private sector/Public sector collaboration session for the on-line Forum aims to focus on

1. Policy development for protected areas
2. Regional planning
3. Market research and development

Where tourism is still at an early stage of development, Government generally plays a more active and leading role in its development and promotion. As it grows as an economic force and its commercial value also increases, the private sector become very interested in assessing commercial risk and investment/operations opportunities to create profits.

Apart from considering examples from different regions of the world, this on-line Forum gives us the opportunity to explore issues such as:

1. Why are public/privates sector partnerships for tourism desirable and necessary?
2. What does each segment want to achieve from the partnership?
3. In what different ways can partnerships evolve in more controlled & centralised economies rather than more free market economies?
4. How do destinations achieve the right balance for their circumstances from public and private sector partnerships?
5. What conditions must exist before destinations can develop effective public and private sector partnerships?

A WTO Business Council report in 2000 revealed that experience in private-public sector cooperation around the world was rather limited except in the specific area of marketing and promotion, as well as some areas of product development and education training.

In countries which are transforming from more central economic control (e.g old communist states) to more open economies, there is a trend where stakeholders are recognizing that public-sector led marketing organizations are often less entrepreneurial and less effective in very competitive international marketplaces than one managed or led by industry itself

Miker
Traveler

Post by Miker »

Hi, this is Mike Robbins from the Tourism Company in Toronto Canada.There are some good examples of partnerships between the government and First Nation communities in Canada. Three good models are discussed below. The first and third are successful partnerships between First Nations and the government, in both cases a federal government agency. The second is a partnership between First Nations and government agencies, NGO

Steve Noakes
Traveler

Post by Steve Noakes »

[quote="Miker"]Hi, this is Mike Robbins from the Tourism Company in Toronto Canada.There are some good examples of partnerships between the government and First Nation communities in Canada. Three good models are discussed below. The first and third are successful partnerships between First Nations and the government, in both cases a federal government agency. The second is a partnership between First Nations and government agencies, NGO

Meganew
Traveler

Post by Meganew »

Hi folks,

I was just reviewing all the posts. Thanks for picking up on this one now. I hope we can get more folks involved.

I posted a comment in Communities and Marketing about the creation of business alliances in order to handle more effective marketing and foster more partnerships between communities and local private tour operators.

Rather than cut and paste it again, perhaps you can take a quick look. But I find that in ecotourism in general we are not seeing effective business alliances - to deal with even the most desired business outcome - better marketing. And while in Cambodia or Philippines it may be difficult, there are plenty of players to make this possible in Latin America. I know there are many established public-private sector models in helping private sector to develop better marketing protocols. I am looking for ideas that would could apply in developing countries. While Australia and Canada probably have great models, they are technically based on conditions that are hard to replicate - as Oliver has noted elsewhere, so it is important to realize that when making suggestions.

What I want to foster in future - in my dreams! - are local or regional business aliances for ecotourism - that have CSR reporting (see my comments in Triple Bottom Line) and marketing components, that also foster techncial support for community alliances. This seems so logical to me. I realize that this may hard in locations where there is not a critical mass of ecotourism businesses. So keep in mind I am thinking about this for areas where there is a critical mass.

Could you possibly advise on how I might structure public-private partnership that could help build markets for ecotourism, incorporate reporting, and also support community development. What type of structure do you think goverments might be comfortable with and donors willing to support?

Thanks!
Megan

febo
Traveler

About regional planning and infrastructure.

Post by febo »

We must remember that whether we talk about developing or developed countries if we talk about regional planning we consider important infrastructure building and that this investments are usually done mainly or totally by public sector, at least at the beginning and to talk about some of the most efficient examples where less has been invested from public sector and more has been retributive to private sector I would mention the trans Canada trail coast to coast initiative where in some specific areas winter resorts have become all year destinations and variety of business have flourished along thousands of kilometers connecting a wide variety of tourism markets and destination, Chile, Spain and the US governments among many other countries are now developing serious strategies for green way planning and the main player for this to happen still public sector.

Steve Noakes
Traveler

Post by Steve Noakes »

FOCUSSING ON THE OUTCOMES OF THE FORUM:

As we head into the 3 rd week of the on-line forum can we ask contributors for SPECIFIC SUGGESTIONS THEY WOULD OFFER DEVELOPMENT AGENCIES AND OTHER DONORS which would assist private and public secrtor collaborations for ecotourism venures in the developing world.

Steve Noakes
Traveler

Post by Steve Noakes »

Hi redbilb, thanks for kicking this section off and highlighting the need for all the parties engaged to be (a) clear on the goals of the proposed initiatives (b) their respective roles. There is always the danger of transmitting unrealistic expectations to communities about tourism as a panacea for all sorts of economic, social, cultural and environmental issues - without the basic, risk/reward assessment and hard-slog realities of starting and operating any business - especially if its a tourism business that wants/needs to deliver a quality product and get into international or even local doemstic market distribution chains. Depending on the location, there are a variety of cultural perceptions and procedures that also need to be considered in develping and implementing the bets model for a given situation.

Steve Noakes

Meganew
Traveler

Post by Meganew »

Hi everyone,

I have had to take a break from the dialogue, because I have come down to work for a short term consultancy with a donor project in Honduras.

I saw the posts about clarifying goals of a project upfront, and I wanted to agree heartily with that idea.

Interestingly here in Honduras the government is about to change, but the donor project I am working for which was formulated several years ago by individuals no longer in Honduras had emphasized that Honduras should become part of the Sustainable Tourism Network of the Americas which is dedicated to bringing all countries into a tourism certification process. (I would need to double check this name but am working from a business center with only a brief time to post). The officials in the tourism ministry here have resisted taking the funds for a certification program for 2 years. I met with them on my first day. It was explained to me that Honduras has 95% small and micro enterprises, family owned tourism businesses. It was clear to the ministry that these businesses could not afford to take part in certification processes, would achieve no cost savings, there would be no market for it, and there was no entity in Honduras that could afford to manage the project.

When I asked what their priorities were, they said that they have formulated a National Sustainable Tourism Strategy, which I will be reading very soon, which emphasizes land use planning and the sustainable use of land with protected corridors, green zones, infrastructure planning etc in order to allow tourism to grow sustainably within the country. I saw some of their plans and they were outstanding. .

When I met with the officials for my project, I presented the importance of clarifying the goals of the tourism project to ensure that the businesses that are presently in Honduras would benefit, that the project would work to build competitiveness, and offset poverty. There was universal agreement with this approach.

I am now in the process of working with the project to clarify the goals and directions via a process of interviews with stakeholders. I have also strongly recommended that the project seeks to work in cooperation with the government and other donors on the National Tourism Strategy.

We will have to be certain that the National Tourism Strategy will be carried forward in the next government, but implementation funding is scheduled to begin early next year which should ensure continuity of policy.

I wanted to share this, because I feel the clarity of design of a project that is in harmony with local needs and objectives is so important.

Megan