Final Call: Conversation with Leo Hickman

Current conversations
planeta
Site Admin

Long-haul travel

Post by planeta »

Last week I spoke at the Ecotourism New Zealand Conference which addressed the issue of transporation and climate change. One of the participants insisted that we not only look at the impact of climate change on tourism but the impact of tourism on climate change.

You address this topic in-depth in your book and I included a mention of Final Call and this very Q&A in my presentation
http://www.slideshare.net/planeta/globa ... ecotourism

That said, I found it very interesting that Ecotourism Australia recently issued a media release -- http://www.ecotourism.org.au/mediarelea ... sp?id=1005 -- saying that Britons are being fed simplistic and inaccurate propaganda in advertisements aimed at reducing long haul air travel.

planeta
Site Admin

Goverment Spotlight

Post by planeta »

Later this month Planeta.com announces the winner of the Ecotourism Spotlight Award -- http://www.planeta.com/ecotravel/tour/a ... light.html -- created as a way of showcasing government websites that promoted responsible travel and ecotourism.

In your view, do you see many government portals that not only provide theory but actually do a good job of showing people where to go, who to visit and how to travel in country?

Do you have any recommendations of what you would like to see on government portals?

planeta
Site Admin

Administrative note

Post by planeta »

Administrative note - This topic has received more than 1,000 views. Many thanks, Leo and Planeta readers!

planeta
Site Admin

Davos Quest

Post by planeta »

Leo, your blog is one of my favorites and I was surprised to read this quote from CNN journalist Richard Quest:

"I have read the Davos Declaration in detail. I am none the wiser about what

Leo Hickman
Traveler

Post by Leo Hickman »

I, too, was very surprised by Richard Quest

planeta
Site Admin

Tourist behaviour changing?

Post by planeta »

The big news are record oil prices and the economic downturn. I wonder how these factors may shift tourist behaviour. Will people spend their holidays closer to home? Will travelers start to make longer trips abroad?

Tommaso Ciabini
Traveler

Small experience of sustainable tourism in Tuscany

Post by Tommaso Ciabini »

Dear Leo,

first of all let me say thanks for your book. I really hope that as many people as possible will read it and try to change their way to think and live their holidays. In Florence and Tuscany, where I live, we are trying to do something about how tourists spend their time (and money...) in Italy throughout our association De Gustibus (www.de-gustibus.it) that was created for those who travel and want to connect with a reality often unknown or forgotten. We are in the process of developing an even-larger network of friends who can get to know and understand old and new flavors from a terrain that has much to offer outside the logic of the mass market. The association additionally aims to defend the variety and the complexity of flavors, tastes, and characteristics, retaining integrity and respect for the place and culture of origin.

- to support small agricultural farmers: help farmers find market space for their goods, involving advertising and general dissemination of information about the producers;
- to safeguard and promote the environment: plan themed itineraries sometimes involving bicycle, horse, and balloon excursions.
- to promote traditional Italian agriculture: develop a better recognition of quality food products and the culture of eating well.

I strongly believe that only a small-scale tourism, directly connected with grass-rooted association and local communities, by-passing big tour operators and thier business-focused strategies, will be able to answer to the main questions about ambient, culture and economic development.

Do you agree?

Thanks,

Tommy

planeta
Site Admin

climate camp

Post by planeta »

The 2009 climate camp just took place. For those of us across the pond, can you tell us how these protests are perceived in England?

planeta
Site Admin

Re: Final Call: Conversation with Leo Hickman

Post by planeta »

Greetings, Leo

Any news to add to our conversation?

planeta
Site Admin

Re: Final Call: Conversation with Leo Hickman

Post by planeta »

FYI - Leo is now on Twitter!
http://twitter.com/leohickman