Facilitation and sustainability

briggsbea
Traveler

Facilitation and sustainability

Post by briggsbea »

Last year I changed the name of the small consulting firm I founded in 2002 from "International Institiute for Facilitation and Consensus" to "International Institute for Facilitation and Change". While my personal commitment to consensus processes remains strong, I gradually realized that our work is really about is supporting positive change in the world. Consensus is means to that end, one tool among many that we use.

Our clients, whether in the public, private or NGO sector, tend to be agents of change. They are seeking new ways to engage with their employees or other stakeholders. They want to create a more just and sustainable world. They are looking for new answers to old questions, new solutions to chronic problems. In short, they are unsatisfied with the status quo.

So are we.

I would love to know about how others are "facilitating change" in their context.

Beatrice Briggs, Director, IIFAC
http://www.iifac.org

planeta
Site Admin

Facilitation and change

Post by planeta »

Bea, can you expound a bit about your work in facilitation? How are you personally working as an agent of change?

briggsbea
Traveler

Agent of change

Post by briggsbea »

As a facilitator, I chose to work with change-oriented groups, in both the private and public sector. In that role, I support them in improving their communication, making their meetings more productive (and enjoyable) and working on internal conflicts that, if left untended, might threaten their ability to work together. As a trainer, I build participatory processes into the course content to increase the likelihood that learning and change might actually occur. In short, my work is built on the firm conviction that people are capable of collaborating, making good decisions and implementing them, especially if they receive sufficient help with facilitation and capacity building in the skills of particitation.